Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 230g/8oz whole wheat flour
- 115g/4oz semolina flour
- ¾ tsp fine salt
- 50g/1¾oz sesame seeds
- 50g/1¾oz flax seeds
- 50g/1¾oz sunflower seeds
- 50g/1¾oz pumpkin seeds – finely chopped
- 15g/½oz poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3½ tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 210ml/7¼fl oz water
- Coarse salt to taste
- Fresh coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F (180°C)
- Mix all the seeds together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours with the fine salt. When thoroughly combined, add 200 grams (7 ounces) of the mixed seeds and mix well.
- In separate bowl, whisk 210ml/7¼fl oz water with the honey and oil. Stir in to the dry ingredients and mix to a medium-firm dough.
- Knead the dough for five minutes by hand, or use a stand mixer with a dough hook. Cover the dough let it rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Prepare 2-3 cookie sheets with some non-stick parchment paper.
- When the dough is rested, oil the work surface with the extra vegetable oil and roll the dough out to a thickness of 3mm/0.1”. Try to get it as even and as thin as possible.
- Using a sharp knife of pizza cutter cut the dough into strips approximately 3x10cm/1x4in. You can cut them into diamond or rectangular shapes.
- Gently peel the strips off the work surface and place them on the cookie sheets close together, but not touching. You can add the odd sized, left over dough scraps to the cookie sheets anywhere you can squeeze them onto the sheet.
- Gently spray water on the crackers, and top with the leftover seeds. Generously sprinkle some coarsely ground salt and pepper.
- Bake the crackers for 15 minutes. Turn the oven off, open the door for 45 seconds. Close the oven door and let the crackers continue to bake with the residual heat in the oven for another 30 minutes until they are extra crispy. Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy.