- 1 cup fresh Key Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon of finely minced Key Lime zest
- 1½ cups of sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 stick of softened butter, or ½ cup of coconut oil, or a combination of the two
- Pinch of salt
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites (freeze or reserve the egg whites for meringues, pavlovas etc.)
- Zest a Key Lime and make sure to avoid getting any of the pith into the zest.
- Juice enough limes to get a full cup (8 ounces/250 milliliters)
- Mix sugar, zest and lime juice with a whisk, in a small saucepan over medium/low heat.
- As soon as the sugar dissolves, gradually add the egg yolks while whisking constantly to prevent the yolks from scrambling.
- Continue to whisk the mixture over medium/low for a minimum of 5-7 minutes. When the curd evenly coats a spoon, add the butter and salt, stir until smooth, and it's done.
- Pour the curd into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the curd to prevent it from developing a film on top.
- Let the curd cool to room temperature and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. It will thicken as it cools.
- Serve and enjoy this sweet tart delight!
Notes: You can use lemon juice instead of the lime juice, for a traditional lemon curd.