- 4 slices of bacon, diced (optional)
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoon of butter
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 or 1½ chipotle pepper(s) in adobo sauce, depending on the heat level preference (not the whole can)
- 2 teaspoons of just the adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Fry the bacon until crispy, drain on a paper towel, and set it aside (optional)
- Steam the cubed sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes until they are fork-tender. Steaming the potatoes prevents them from absorbing too much water during the cook.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with butter, sour cream, and salt
- Mince the chipotle pepper (remove the seeds if you don't want a lot of heat). I recommend you start with just one chipotle pepper at first.
- Fold in the chipotle pepper and adobo sauce
- Let the potatoes rest for about 30 minutes so that the flavors can meld. Taste and add more chipotle pepper or adobo sauce if necessary. You can always add more heat, but you can't take it back.
- Top the dish with the crispy bacon bits.