2 chicken breasts cut into thick strips
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green, red or yellow sweet pepper, diced
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded & minced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of canned diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup of canned/frozen corn kernels, drained
¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
¾ cup grated mild white cheese
12 8 inch flour tortillas
1½ cups enchilada sauce (store bought, or go to this link for my homemade red enchilada sauce)
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- This part can be done ahead of time, and stored in the refrigerator a few day in advance of assembling the enchiladas. Season the chicken with the salt pepper and cumin. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and add the chicken to the hot oil. Sauté the chicken until thoroughly cooked and nicely browned. Set the chicken aside until it cools. When the chicken is cool, shred it into thin strips.
- Prepare the filling. Sauté the onion and sweet peppers over medium heat in the remaining olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and jalapeño pepper and stir for another minute. Add the diced tomatoes and the corn.
- Lightly grease a large 15-inch x 10-inch x 2-inch rectangular baking/casserole dish. Pour about ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the dish. Dip each of the tortillas in the sauce and stack them on a dinner plate.
- Assemble the enchiladas. Place about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken in a tortilla and top it with a heaping tablespoons of the onions, peppers, tomato & corn mixture. Add a little of the cheeses and roll the tortilla so that it is about an inch in diameter. Place it in the baking dish with the open seam to the bottom. Continue with the remaining tortillas. You should be able to get 10 enchiladas vertically, with 2 at the top horizontally.
- Cover the enchiladas with the remaining filling, enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until all the cheese is melted.
Serving suggestions: Top with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Post a Comment
Please leave your feedback and comments on recipes.